Process templates are predefined sets of tasks which can be used accross one or multiple boards of a workspace to quickly start new process instances. They reside on a dedicated “template board”, which basically is just an ordinary board in your workspace with follows a particular structure as described below.
To start using process templates, follow these simpe steps:
- In the workspace that you want to use process templates with, create a new board and give it a name of your choice, e.g. “Process Templates”.
- For each process template you want to have, create a new list on this board. The name of the list will become the name of the template, e.g. “Onboard new customer”.
- For each task that you want to have in a template, create a card in the corresponding list. Whenever you will use a template later, all cards with their titles, descriptions, attachments, assigned members, etc. will be duplicated on the target board and linked as tasks to the respective parent (process) card.
- To create a holding point in the template, simply create a card with name “—” (3x minus).
- On the board that you want to use the previously defined templates with, go to the board’s Processes for Trello Power-Up menu and then select “Power-Up Settings” (or use the setup wizard if you are freshly installing the Power-Up). In the settings window, on the second last slide, you can set the template board to be the one created in step no. 1 above.
Now, the templates should be displayed whenever you click the “Attach Process” button on a card. Note that all workspace members need to have at least read access to the template board to make it work. Give selected workspace members write privileges in order to allow them to add new process templates or change existing ones.